Thursday, August 23, 2012

The day Owen was bit by a VOLE!

 Well it is weird and random and crazy to write that today Owen was bit by a vole. A vole, per wikipedia, "is a small rodent resembling a mouse but with a stouter body, a shorter, hairy tail, a slightly rounder head, smaller ears and eyes......"

I got a call from Kris' mom this morning saying that she was in the bathroom with Wyatt and Owen went out in the backyard and was bit by a vole.....and that it punctured the skin and was bleeding a little bit. She asked me to call our pediatrician to see what to do. I called Owen's doctor who said that we should just monitor it however to call the Department of Community Health to be on the safe side. When I called the Department of Community Health and spoke to the CDC nurse, she said that she recommended to start on an antibiotic right away. Being totally confused by the differing of opinions we decided to ask my aunt her thoughts. She works for the health department in a different county.......she asked her medical director who agreed with the advice of the pediatrician, to leave it well enough alone and to keep a close eye on the site.

Kris' mom did kill the vole just in case it needed to be tested for anything. So when Owen got home today I went online and had him show me exactly what the culprit looked like and he picked out this sketch. Bad vole!!!


 Here is Owen's finger all bandaged and cleaned up. We have to monitor it and clean it 2x per day and make sure there are no signs of infection.
Never a dull moment......and I guess it is possible to get bit by a vole! Proof is above!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Our blog is a way to keep friends and family updated on what is happening with our family.