Friday, April 15, 2011

update...not so good mixed with some good!

I had another appointment this week and saw my rheumatologist yet again. I received a phone call on Tuesday from one of the nurses telling me to stop my methotrexate injections. She left a message so I assumed that my blood work came back abnormal from Monday. A short while later I received an email from my doctor telling me the same thing and the reason was because my liver enzymes had increased significantly. My hemoglobin was also low so that is being monitored as well. I had more blood work today and will return to the lab early next week to have more blood work to recheck my liver enzymes next Tuesday. I can't start the new injection which will be Humira until the liver enzymes decrease significantly or return to normal. I also learned at this visit that they are now thinking that my underlying condition is Inflammatory Bowel Disease because my colonoscopy from December was not normal. It is hard for them to distinguish because I was already on a high dose of steroids prior to my hospitalization so they think that the steroids were masking/interfering with the results.....but they do know that it was not a normal colonoscopy thus my following up with a gastrointologist. At this visit was also the first time that I learned that I must have an underlying condition because Methotrexate alone or Anakinra alone should have treated my urticarial vasculitis.....so definitely a combination of both meds should have most certainly treated me.....but not so much! Whatever this auto-immune condition I have is certainly a nasty one that is liking to hide from any obvious markers of giving me an OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS. It will be a year in July that I have been dealing with this.....a YEAR is a short time in a lifespan but such a LONG time with two small kids, a demanding job and keeping up with the physical responsibilities of home-life. I am feeling pretty good though because until they figure out a medication regime for me they increased my steroids yet again. And finally the GOOD news is that after months of swelling in my fingers, I was finally able to put my wedding rings on today!!!!! It was a good feeling. I'm not getting too excited since I anticipate the swelling and pain to return again when I start to taper down on my steroids as it always seems to go. Prayers appreciated that when I start the Humira it WILL work and I can have a normal summer....that sounds a little selfish.....I just want to be back to normal so I can be a GOOD momma to my boys!! That is the hardest part....not having any energy and being in physical pain when I try to be active with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Our blog is a way to keep friends and family updated on what is happening with our family.