Thursday, April 7, 2011

Well....not so lucky I guess!

Last night before bed I noticed that the backs of my upper arms were super itchy. When I went to itch them I knew immediately they were broken out because of the rough, hive like skin I felt. I looked in the mirror and sure enough I had bright red, hive looking welts on the back on my arms. About 5 minutes later my thigh started itching....and sure enough there were bright red looking hives on my upper thigh. I told Kris that it was really weird because I haven't had any rash outbreaks in MONTHS. And maybe it was a coincidence but I had just tapered down to the lowest dose of steroids I had been on in months just yesterday morning. Kris took a picture of my rash and I emailed it to my doctor. This morning when I woke up I was going to have Kris do my injection for me when Kris came to the realization that I had a nasty rash at each of my injection sites. Arms, both sides of my belly and my thighs.....he would not give me the injection until we heard back from the doctor to find out what was going on as I had been giving myself injections the last 12 days with no issues. My rheum was concerned and made an urgent appointment for me today at UofM dermatology clinic. They feel that it is a reaction to the injection and that since I have been on such a high dose of steroids for the last few weeks that the steroids were actually masking my reaction to the injection. So- we are now treating my rash, which burns and itches like crazy. I also was switched to a new and stronger steroid medication and had to stop taking the Anakinra injection immediately. My doctor will switch me to either an Embrel or Humira injection as soon as possible. I can still continue with the methotrexate injection. The dermatologist also took a biopsy of the rash to see if it is the urticarial vasculitis rearing its ugly head or if it is a reaction to the injection. Since the outbreak is so specific to the injection sites they are thinking that the biopsy results will just show the negative reaction.....time will tell. So again, a step in the wrong direction of being healed....I'm feeling run down, tired and defeated again! I so badly just want this all to be over with....like I wake up one morning and my body is healed! God can do that right??? I guess I need to get praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Our blog is a way to keep friends and family updated on what is happening with our family.