Thursday, February 24, 2011

Food for Thought

Well, here is my first "food for thought" post. Yahoo is set as my Internet browser, so often times before I check my email I take a glance at all of the news/updates that flash across the computer screen and try my best to stay on top of what is going on in the world.
This morning I just had to laugh about this WEB BUZZ sensation making Yahoo's top news story today.

Jennifer Lopez who is a judge on American Idol apparently broke down on last nights show and cried with America saying "I don't want to do this anymore." I don't watch the show but I'm figuring that a STAR/IDOL that she liked was being voted off and it was very hard with her to part with that fact.

So- in a third world across the country I learned last night in my Becoming a Better Samaritan class at church that approximately 25 million people are affected by the AIDS/HIV pandemic. Most are unable to either afford any treatment or live too far away from a clinic or hospital to obtain the treatment that they need. There are almost 3 million children who have AIDS/HIV and out of those children, 25,000 children die each day from the disease equivalent to 100 jet liners carrying 250 passengers each crashing onto US soil or any soil for that matter.

I'm not trying to be a downer by any means, just find it ironic that though I knew about the AIDS/HIV pandemic, I never was exposed to the numbers of children and people it affected. And here in America, we are caught up in our own IDOLS per say, American Idols, who make Yahoo and top website news stories on a daily basis.

I struggled with the idea of the pandemic last night, I don't really know what I personally can do about it but the bottom line/lesson learned in our class is that everyone needs to be loved and touched in a way that they know that God is good and that there is a far better alternative life for them in eternity.

Take it for what it's worth, again I'm not saying that I instantly became an advocate for AIDS awareness by any means...and I most certainly am not going to jump on the next plane to Africa to witness to any people affected by this pandemic. I simply am going to try to do what I can in my community, in my neighborhood, helping those who are in need of touch. We are to act everyday as Jesus himself. Christ has no visibility on earth but through my hands, feet, arms, legs, face, we make him visible and in turn can touch those in need. We need to touch the greatest gifts that God made, human beings.

I guess my point is that if everyone who watched American Idol or other reality TV shows and shed tears over "so and so got voted off" for whatever reason......don't you think our world would be a better place to live if people actually shed tears over what REALLY matters in life? I do......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Our blog is a way to keep friends and family updated on what is happening with our family.